Friday, February 10, 2012

Intro to Puerto Rico

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my blog. I figured I'd officially welcome you because my first post isn't one that actually pertains to my blog. It was just a silly tester (though my professor is actually great). Attempts for brownie points aside, this blog will be exploring Puerto Rico and it's role in the African Diaspora. Though the island is small, its history is not.

I'm doing this blog for my Africa in Diaspora class. Each student chose a country that has ties to the African Diaspora. Each week this semester, we're given a topic and we have to respond to it with information pertaining to our country. I know, I know, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth (but don't ever tell a Puerto Rican that). Puerto Rican ideals are strong and many believe that their island is just as much a country as any place else. Their ideals are partly why I chose Puerto Rico for my blog. Many of their embedded ideals are influenced by their long history, the African Diaspora in particular. Similar to the United States, racial hierarchies are embedded in Puerto Rican culture. Social scientists describe embedded racial hierarchy as "pigmentocracy." This term describes societies in which wealth and social status are determined by skin color. I chose Puerto Rico because I've always been interested in how the diaspora relates to how Puerto Ricans think.

From the Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture


Despite contrary belief, African enslavement was very much a part of Puerto Rico during the most common African Diaspora. In fact, it was abolished in 1873, eight years after slavery was abolished in the United States. Enslaved Africans were introduced to Puerto Rico in 1513, back when Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony before it was ceded to the United States in 1898. Spain refused to see Puerto Rico as anything else but a military outpost, though they had ample sugar. Puerto Rico would've been classified as a society with slaves as opposed to a slave society. Enslaved Africans tended to the sugar production on the island while Spain handled their feuds with other places such as Britain. Native Puerto Ricans, (the indigenous Tainos, mixed races citizens, and enslaved Africans) were never in a position of power after Spain conquered Puerto Rico. Africans have always been at the lowest point in the racial ladder. Though many Puerto Ricans deny their African ancestry in order to climb the social ladder, Puerto Rican culture shows that the cultures of various African tribes are prominent in the Puerto Rican lifestyle. Various crops (such as plantains and their unique preparations in mofongos, tostones and pasteles), religions (SanterĂ­a), dances (bomba and plena), and instruments (congas, bongos) reveal Puerto Rico's unmistakable ties to the African diaspora. There's no denying it.
By the way, pasteles are the best food known to man kind.

I found this interesting video that I think explains racial issues, as well as the history of slavery, in Puerto Rico well:



Negative ideals aside, I also chose Puerto Rico because throughout my life, I've always admired the beauty of the island and its culture. Puerto Rican culture has been in my life for as long as I can remember. My family isn't so good at talking about themselves and their pasts, so they would speak about what a wonderful place it is. I also want to explore the culture in order to learn about the positive aspects of it in terms of the diaspora.


I mean come on, it's just a beautiful place.
Here are some pictures my mom took when she went last fall (without me....):

Collier, Josie. September 2011. San Juan.
Collier, Josie. September 2011. San Juan.
Collier, Josie. September 2011. San Juan.

Sources (Giving credit is always great):

Richard, Lynn. Pigmentocracy: Racial Hierarchies in the Caribbean and Latin America. Augusta: University of Ulster, 2008.

"Black Studies Center: Information Site." Black Studies Center: Information Site. http://bsc.chadwyck.com/search/displayMultiTimelineItem.do?Multi=yes&ResultsID=134CF672BBF&fromPage=search&ItemNumber=1&QueryName=events (accessed February 10, 2012).

Briggs Kent, Jacquelyn, and Jorge Chinea. "Puerto Rico." In Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture. Detriot: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2008. 408-415.

1 comment:

  1. I found this very interesting. There was much I did not know about Puerto Rico. Basically the only thing I knew about it was that it was part of United States. I did not know that it was Spanish colony at one point. It is also very interesting to see how many African traditions still exist in Puerto Rican Culture. I am glad that you were able to do a country (or commonwealth) that has been in your life and in your families life. It is also great to learn about something that you enjoy learning about. The pictures are great and it is awesome that your mom was able to go last year. I hope to keep learning from your blog and that other will be able to learn from it too.

    ReplyDelete